There are many situations that can cause you to become short of breath.
Shortness of breath causes include:
- Difficulty in breathing due to a blockage of the air passages in your nose, mouth, or throat.
- A sense of breathlessness may occur if your brain, muscles, or other body organs do not receive enough oxygen.
Problems with the lungs:
- Blood clot in the arteries of the lungs (pulmonary embolism)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD), asthma and other chronic lung problems
- Pulmonary hypertension
Problems with the heart:
- Heart attack or heart failure
- Heart defects from birth (congenital heart disease)
- Valve diseases of the heart
- Heart rhythm disturbances (arrhythmias)
- Allergies (such as to mold, dander, or pollen)
- Climbing to high altitudes where there is less oxygen in the air
- Chest wall compression
- Low oxygen environment
- Panic attacks